Thursday, March 4, 2010

Day 2 of road blockades...

There are still blockades up all over the city and school has been cancelled yet again. At most of the busy intersections in town there are large groups of riot police. They usually line up making a wall and you can see truckloads of them all around town. I don't know if you've ever seen an officer outfitted in riot gear before but it's pretty intimidating not to mention when there's a group of 20 or more!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Yesterday, I said the reason for the transportation strike was because drivers were mad that the long distance drivers were allowed to drive drunk. After asking lots of people around town what the real reason behind all of this is and after receiving an email this morning from our mission, I realize that I had the facts completely backwards.

The real issue is that the bus drivers are mad because they are being punished for driving drunk. If a driver is found drunk while on the job his license is being taken away and the whole bus line is being punished as well. I'm sorry if they don't like rules but I would like to have the security of knowing I'm going to make it to my destination when traveling to other cities.

Please pray that things get resolved today. It is very difficult to get around town because there is NO public transportation and walking during this strike can be scary and dangerous!


Image and video hosting by TinyPic

1 comment: